Wednesday, August 25, 2010

How To Use Versamark, A tutorial by Featured Stamper Lynn Mangan

Good Morning Friends!

It is my Great pleasure to introduce Lynn Mangan a.k.a mango boys and me who has generously agreed to be our featured stamper for this week! Lynn plays along almost every week with the operators at 411 and we always look forward to seeing what she's up to. Surprisingly, she's NOT a demonstrator! She just loves to share her creative talents (and we love to see what she's got for us). Please leave Lynn some love (comments) so she knows that you loved her tutorial and hopefully she'll inspire you to pull out your versamark pad.

How about some more details?... Lynn is a mom to four boys, Ryan, Jonathon, Collin and Marcel. She is married to her high school sweetheart Pat. She states that she is very blessed that he is a stay at home dad to their four boys. She works full time.

So ~ here is Lynn's tutorial all about Versamark... Lynn writes:

"Hello there! The fabulous SU Demonstrators on the Stampin’ 411 Blog asked me to do a tutorial! I got to choose the topic and I picked Versamark. If you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for ways to stretch your crafting supplies. Versamark is the perfect addition! I’m going to share three ways to use your Versamark!

Tone on Tone…
First up is tone on tone. Ever get frustrated that you don’t have a stamp color to match your paper? Versamark quickly stamps and makes the stamp just a shade darker than the color of your paper….the best part…it always match!
Here’s a quick example:
To get started pull out your Versamark, paper and stamp of your choice.

For this card, I decided to use one of my favorite stamp sets Tart & Tangy and make some oranges, lemons and limes in different colors. Versamark dries pretty quickly and if you touch it doesn’t really mess up like crafting ink. After stamping the circles, I punched them with a 1 ¼” circle punch and cut a few of them in half. Don’t you love the colors this creates? Six different colors and only one ink!


To finish off the card, I stamped the sentiment in Tangerine Tango, embossed the white layer and added some ribbon. The full circle fruit was adhered with adhesive and the half fruit was applied with a Stampin’ Dimensional (another one of my favorite supplies!).

Card Dimensions: Base of card: 5 ½ x 8 ½”; White layer: 5 ¼” x 4”
Stamps: Tart & Tangy, Short & Sweet
Ink: Versamark and Tangerine Tango,
Paper: Whisper White, Tangerine Tango, Only Orange, Wild Wasabi, Certainly Celery, Daffodil Delight, So Saffron; Ribbon: SU Pumpkin Pie;
Accessories: Embossing folder, large dots.

Chalking with Your Versamarks
Another great way to use your Versamark is my utilizing your chalk. To get started, decide on what paper you’d like to use along with the stamp.


I utilized my Pocket Silhouette to stamp all the way across the card. After stamping, I dabbed the cotton ball in the various orange, yellow and reds to dab lightly on top of the Versamark. The Versamark is very forgiving so if you add too much of one color, dab the cotton ball in the color you’d like more of and go back over the Versamark. Here’s the end result:


Card dimensions: Base: 6 ½“ by 6 ½”; Second Layer: 6 ¼“ by 3”; Third Layer: 6” by 2 ¾“
Stamps: Pocket Silhouettes and Short & Sweet
Ink: Versamark and Pumpkin Pie
Paper: So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie and Very Vanilla
Accessories: Pumpkin Pie Ribbon

Creating a Monochromatic Background/Embossing
Versamark is also great for heat embossing. If you’re like me, you may not have a lot of embossing powders or embossing inks. Versamark with clear embossing powder allows you to expand the colors that you emboss.

For this card, I started with the background paper in Marina Mist.

I stamped the entire background with the scroll stamp from the Elements of Style stamps. I then applied clear embossing powder and heated it with my heat gun. The end result was the beautiful background.

To finish up the card, I stamped the other images on the front panel with Baja Breeze and Marina Mist.
Card Dimensions: Base: 5 ½” by 8 ½”, Second Layer: 5 ¼” by 4”; Third Layer; 4 ½” x 3 ½”; Fourth layer: 4 ¼” x 3 ¼”
Stamps: Elements of Style
Ink: Versamark, Baja Breeze and Marina Mist
Paper: Marina Mist, Baja Breeze and Whisper White; ;
Accessories: Embossing Powder, Clear

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Are you ready to go try out Versamark?!!"

Thanks Lynn for that amazing tutorial! You are a truly talented stamper! Please join us tomorrow for Patti's color Inspiration! (and please don't forget to leave Lynn some love).

(((rubbah hugs)))
Selene~

31 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I didn't knew the method with chalk!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn you ROCK! I probably haven't pulled out my Versamark in a year, and you made me want to get it out and use it NOW! Love your samples, thanks so much for sharing this awesome tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job Lynn!!! I'm so glad you shared this with all of us. I love all of the samples as well and feel a case or two coming on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me how to use Versamark more often! Pretty examples!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, sometimes I need to remind myself how awesome Versemark is. Thanks for taking the time to help us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the PERFECT formula for a Workshop full of first timers! They can all get some Whisper White, a Color Combination of their choice, a jar of embossing powder, a roll of ribbon, the Stampin' Pastels, and one single stamp pad --- Versa Mark. Thanks for the post, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! Lynn you totally rocked this tutorial!! Love your ideas and card!! Makes me want to dust off the dust on my versamark pad!! Thanks for sharing with us today and I hope to see you around alot more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT tutorial Lynn. Very nice for first timers for sure and your pictures are the bomb! So easy to understand. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial. I love using Versamark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the tutorials, Lynn! Your samples are gorgeous!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn, you did a fantastic job with the tutorial. Poppin Pastels is one of my favorite Versamark techniques too! Love all your cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, we all knew you were a wonderful stamper and you've proved it yet again with these wonderful samples and easy to follow techniques! Great tutorial and really gorgeous samples! Thanks so much for being part of the 411 this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the tutorial... beautiful cards and very informative but I was wondering, how do you clean the stamps after using the Versamark?

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! Great reminder about using Versamark. I used to use it quite a bit even on my scrapbook pages. Love all the cards too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowsers, Lynn, that was fantastic!!!! You should be a demonstrator!!! I especially love that orange, lemons, and limes card...too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! I'm linking to you on my facebook page, The Southern Stamper. Such a helpful tutorial and wonderful reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful cards, Lynn. This is very helpful information, as I'm a "newer" stamper and always fearful of trying new things. I've always wanted to use this technique but have been unsure about it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I'm gonna go out an by a versamark pad now. Question: Does the versamark stay wet long enough to put embossing powder on image? Just wondering. I've never tried it before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for your beautiful tutorial. I haven't used my VersaMark pad for ages. I did not know how versatle it is until you used it for chalking and embossing. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job with the tutorial, Lynn!!! Wonderful cards...love the fruit on especially!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These examples are great. I love the versamark but am always confused how you are supposed to use it. Thanks for the awesome directions and examples. I am a newbie to some of the techniques and this is one I have been intimated to try. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cards are so pretty! Thank you for sharing them and Scrapbook Expo for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the info on Versamark. I am always looking for different uses of my supplies. Your cards are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've just bought some Versamark so great to have some ideas to use it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bought a Versamark quite some time go. Forgot why I bought it . Now you gave me great reasons to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tutorial and shows Versamarks many possibilities and reminds us to use it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good info.. thank you so much.. I'm always so confused on the different inks and what you can and cannot do with them. Thank you
    victoryfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your info is so helpful. Love the cards you made. I'm new to cardmaking, but I can use what I learned here easily. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow this makes a beautiful card this. Is 12 years later May 6 2022

    ReplyDelete