Thursday, April 14, 2011

Technique Thursday - Emboss Resist


Welcome to the latest edition of Technique Thursday! I'm excited to share this technique with you, emboss resist. Basically, you'll emboss, and sponge on top of the embossing to better reveal the embossed image. The embossed image resists the ink, thus the name!

I hope you'll join in the fun & give this technique a try! We'd love to see what you create using your Stampin' Up! stamps & accessories with this technique...just upload your card or project to your blog or other online gallery and link below, simple as that!

*Be sure to link directly to your post that includes this technique though k? Linking only to your home page can make it tricky for us to find the project you're sharing with us :)

So let's get to it! Here's how:

I like a little light stamping underneath my embossed image as well, and I've seen this around the web, so I added it to my card too. I stamped all over my Whisper White card stock using the words stamp from Flores Suaves in Pink Pirouette classic ink (and of course the Stamp-a-majig for perfect alignment!)
Okay, once you're done with a background (if you'd like to have one), stamp your image in VersaMark ink, and emboss with White embossing powder and your heat tool. I've found that the more solid style images work best, but it's stamper's choice of course! For this card I used the flower from Flores Suaves.
Now for the fun part! :) Add color (in this instance I used Pretty in Pink classic ink), using either stamping sponges or sponge daubers. I used stamping sponges, and first patted my ink on, then lightly swirled it around for better coverage, adding more until I got my desired look.That's it! Add your other goodies, and you're done!! Now wasn't that easy?!?!

Items I used for my Easter card:
Stamps: Flores Suaves, All Holidays
Ink: Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, Rose Red, VersaMark
Card stock: Whisper White, Pretty in Pink,
Accessories: Curly Label Punch, Crop-a-dile (to punch hole in tag), Rose Red Seam Binding Ribbon, Stamping Punches, Whisper White Embossing Powder, Heat Tool

Here's another sample I whipped up using this technique and the Inspired by Nature set with Pear Pizzazz ink. I used the same word stamp from Flores Suaves for the background.

Items I used on this card:
Stamps: Three Little Words, Inspired by Nature
Ink: VersaMark, Pear Pizzazz, Basic Black
Card stock: Whisper White, Basic Black
Accessories: Small & Large Oval Punches, Basic Pearls, Basic Black Taffeta Ribbon, Stamping Sponges, Heat Tool, Stampin' Dimensionals

Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

5 comments:

  1. So simple and yet so beautiful. The words in the background make a perfect backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like this technique of sponged embossing. Very delicate and pretty. Will try it one of these days. Like the words background. Edna

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful technique and a great effect.
    I'm glad I found this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this technique is also called Emboss Resist, meaning that the embossed image will resist the added ink. This technique can give such a different look to a project and what you have done in the samples is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete