Thursday, December 15, 2011

Seriously EASY card box for gift giving

Good Morning Friends!

It's time for another anything goes post from your operators at stamping411.

This week, I was hoping to finally keep my promise to do a tutorial for this cute box that comes together in minutes. There are literally 4 score marks and 4 cuts, then you stick it together! Really, that's it!

I'll be whipping up a few more of these next week, as I'm planning to give those "card worthy" relatives a stack of cards for their pantries. This box is made from some new items, some existing items, and some sneak peeks, so put your spectacles on and take a peek at this!

Stamps: 123779 You are Loved Stamp set (will be going away forever on January 3rd ~ so hit up your demo to get your set before they are gone...)
Ink: Riding hood red, basic gray, blushing bride and pear pizazz (just a few of the colors in the new DSP coming out)
Paper: whisper white, riding hood red and Twitterpated Designer series paper (which will be out on January 4th! again, ask your demo!).
Accessories: Tombo multipurpose adhesive, 3 dimensionals to pop up the heart, riding hood red pleated satin ribbon (gasp!), vintage brads, 1 1/6" circle punch, the NEW heart framelit die!, and (of course) the Simply Scored Scoring tool with place markers!

and away we go... First, I set up my score tool for marks at 1 1/4" 4 1/2" and 6 1/2"

Take a piece of 8 1/2" x 11", cardstock, on the 8 1/2" side, score at 1 1/4" (both sides)
Note** notice how I'm holding the stylus? I have my thumb on top and I'm pulling towards me. After scoring 170 wedding invitations for my cousin (in two places), I realized when I hold my stylus this way, it doesn't slip out of the groove on me.


Then flip your card stock 90 degrees and score at 4 1/2" and 6 1/2".
Now, using your paper snips, cut in 1 1/4" inches where you see black on the template below.Next, fold on all lines VERY well! If you like, you can use a bone folder to get a nice crisp edge.Apply some tombo multipurpose adhesive to one side of the flap that's folded up, and attach this side of the box. I like to do this on both sides, so that when I put the box together, my flaps match. Some notes about the tombo glue (I call it green glue because it comes in a green tube). The picture above shows a little too much. you can use sticky strip, but if you make a mistake you're either stuck, or using a heat gun to try and reposition. The idea of the green glue is to use a TINY amount. I use it for everything except ribbon and designer paper. If you try it, and have it all over your hands, you're probably using too much!

Some of my customers say that I scratch it on the paper or make a dotted line. Below is a better amount to use.


Now that we have one side stuck to the bottom flap (left and right), add a thin line of green glue down the spine of your box and seal up the other two sides.
Oh looky! I'm crooked! Well, the "green glue" lets you reposition for a second.. Love that!!


So here's the raw box. Now, I like to use ribbon for the handles (about 12"), you could cut a strip of paper 1" and use that, whatever works for you!

So, now I'd like to decorate my box. Pick out a coordinating designer Paper (i used twittpated).
Cut this to 4 1/2" x 3". if you're using 2 sheets of designer paper, you'll yield enough for 10 boxes, front and back!

I cut a sheet of whisper white down to 4 1/2" and cut two strips from the ribbon border punch. then I just take the punched piece and cut it in half.
Flip your dsp over, and add a thin line of green glue. Then lay the border on top. Try and use the design to get your sides even on each side.Attach these to the front of the box and decorate to taste! Here's the finished box, and the original box I did when the score tool came out!

Thanks for visiting today and for checking out the tutorial! If you'd like to make one and post it somewhere online, I added a linky so we can see what you did with this tutorial!

Rubbah hugs,
Selene Kempton

3 comments:

  1. Selene this is a great tutorial and a great little bag. I needed something to hold a gift for my granddaughter and this is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly timed reminder of this great project yesterday! I created my Santa Suit for my Stampin' Fools last night and they loved it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great little tutorial Selene. I especially love the tips on the 'green' glue.
    Hopefully I will get to make one this week.

    ReplyDelete